Muslims and Christians agree Allah created Adam as the first man. The story of Adam is similar in the Quran and the Torah.
What is the story of Adam according to Islam? Did Adam commit a major sin or a minor mistake? What were the consequences?
Adam and Eve Chose to Disobey Allah
According to the Quran, Allah forbade Adam and Eve from approaching one tree in paradise. “But do not approach this tree, lest you be among the wrongdoers” (Qs 2:35).
But they broke Allah’s command “. . . when they tasted of the tree . . .” (Qs 7:22).
Did Adam Commit a Major Sin?
Here are four reasons Adam’s and Eve’s disobedience was considered a major sin:
- The All Powerful Allah reigns over His creation. When Allah forbids something, creation must obey. His commands are intended for our own good and safety.
- Adam and Eve chose to defy Allah’s command. They didn’t forget Allah’s command because Satan actually reminded them of it. “He [Satan] said, ‘Your Lord did not forbid you this tree’” (Qs 7:20).
- They pleaded for Allah’s forgiveness. “. . . if You do not forgive us and have mercy upon us, we will surely be among the losers” (Qs 7:23).
- Death came upon mankind as the consequence of their sin. According to Islamic teaching, Allah sent them out of paradise (Qs 7:24). Otherwise, their offspring would have perished in paradise.
When Adam sinned, he undermined Allah’s authority. Adam declared his independence from Allah’s authority. He thought he would “become angels or become of the immortal” (Qs 7:20). Write to us if you disagree.
The Punishment of Sins is Eternal Death
All of us have disobeyed Allah’s commands and undermined his authority just like Adam. Allah considers every sin, major or minor, to be serious because he is holy and perfect.
Adam’s disobedience brought death, and we deserve death because we have all sinned. “. . . sin entered the world through one man, and death through sin . . . death came to all people, because all sinned” (Injil, Romans 5:12).
But, Allah sent a perfect Messiah who is able to give eternal life to mankind. Isa is perfect, so He is able to forgive our sins. “. . . through the obedience of the one man [Isa] the many will be made righteous” (Injil, Romans 5:19). He died to pay the penalty of our sin.
Allah sent Adam out of paradise because of his sin. But through Isa’s sacrifice, we have assurance that we will live with Allah forever in heaven. Please email us if you want to receive His forgiveness.
If you would like to learn the way of Allah, please click this link to receive weekly bulletin on Isa, Islam and Al-Fatiha.
QUESTIONS FOR CONTEMPLATION
- Before reading this article, what was your view of Adam and his sin?
- What is your opinion about the fact that Adam committed a major sin? Why?
- Do you agree that all sins are considered major and serious. Why or why not?
We encourage our readers to comment on the article above. Comments that don’t directly relate to the topic will be removed.
[We invite you to visit us at https://www.isaandislam.com/Way-of-Salvation to learn more about God’s gift of Salvation. God loves you and waits to hear from you. Jesus clearly said, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me” (Injil, John 14:6). For a deeper understanding of Jesus, we suggest you subscribe to “Isa, Islam, and Al-Fatiha” at this link.]